We express our identity in our Charism. In an intense process, we have dealt extensively with our Charism and have arrived at the following wording:
«The source of our Charism lies in the compassionate love of God, who emptied himself in Christ Jesus even to the point of dying on a Cross. (Phil. 2:7–8). This love deeply affected Francis and our Founders and urged them to take concrete action. It also inspires us to make something of this love visible to others in our time and world.
As Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross, we are aware that we are loved, called and sent,
- to grow more deeply in the mystery of the Cross and Resurrection and draw trust, hope and strength from it;
- to see the world as God’s Creation and all persons as God’s image, to respect their dignity and support them;
- to practice sisterliness and live the attitudes of Franciscan Minority more deeply;
- to be with and for people, especially the less privileged, in compassionate love and solidarity;
- to hear the call of God in the varied needs of the present time and to respond with openness and enthusiasm.
Through our Charism, we take part in the mission of the Church. We attempt to prepare space for the coming of the reign of God, where all people are brothers and sisters.» (From the booklet on the Charism «Drawing from the Source»)